Monday, December 3, 2012

Sorry for my speedy departure

So, when we last talked, I guess I forgot to mention that I'm kind of a hermit in November. See, when I'm not being a mom, and trying to keep up with the endless laundry that multiplies over night even though my kids wear uniforms to school, I write books.

Please note that I said I am a writer. I am not an author. I have not been published. Not yet. It will happen. It's just a matter of when.

And in the literary world, November is what's known as National Novel Writing Month (aka NaNoWriMo). It's the time of year when writers all around the world attempt to write 50,000 words in 30 days. Remember in grade school when your teacher would tell you to write a 500 word essay and you would groan? Try writing 100 of those in a month. Yes, being a writer means volunteering to do homework for the rest of my life. And to think, when I was in college, I did everything I could to avoid it. But I guess that's life, right?

And this November, I was actually at the beginning of a novel, so I decided to take the challenge. Thanks to a couple of 7K nights, on November 19, 2012, I completed the 50,000 words. And today, I am thrilled to announce that I am finished... with the first draft. (In case you're doing the math, that would be more than the 50K.)

The first complete novel was written in seven months, the second in five months and this one... in 33 days. Now, I am the first to admit that I can already see some holes that need to be filled and some scenes that need to be beefed up, but that's in re-writes, which is even more challenging then writing the book, believe it or not. But it's kind of like building the frame of a house and then starting to put up the walls and and flooring.

So, in short, NaNoWriMo was the reason why I have been MIA. And now that it's over, I will begin posting more regularly. I've even got a couple posts in draft mode at this moment. So hang tight. Kidletville is a little hectic right now, but it's all going to be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment